Tuesday 21 January 2014

Week 1. (pencil colour, fineliner+water, biro)



I completed this study using pencil colours. I tried to delicately, gradually build the layers of colours to create  a dreamy, soft effect. The pencil colors have a grainy texture on the slightly textured paper. I like the subtly of the pencils and also the high level of control you have over them to achieve the finest details but also the ability to hold them loosely and block in or layer up large areas of colour.
I tried to slightly stylized and exaggerated the lilac, pink and blue tones on the fur of the white cat to make it appear a little more fantastical and intriguing, in the same way that medieval artists would often colour the pelts of ordinary animals to all shades of outlandish colours to instill a kind of strange flourish to the plain pelted animals like deers, sparrows, bears and horses.
..-.~x~.-..





This study was completed using water-soluble and water-proof fineliners and water. I loosely drew the form of a rams head using the thick, water-soluble fineliner then went back over the lines I drew with a damp brush; causing the ink to bleed and spread an interesting bluey-purple hue and created tone. Once dry, I worked over the image with a second, much finer water-proof fineliner to add smaller details such as texture to the fur and grooves in the antlers. I then blacked out the background. This focused the attention and brought prominence to the ram's head; while also giving the suspended head a gloomy and sullen atmosphere.

..-.~x~.-..



No comments:

Post a Comment